Vintage-sounding germanium Fuzz pedal, a legendary sound that helped shape a generation… Made with carbon comp resistors for a pure vintage sound !
There are many variables that determine the quality, sound and cleanability of a Germanium Fuzz pedal. We feel transistor choice is crucial, therefore we have searched and found the best and extremely rare germanium transistors ever made : the CV7003, military-spec OC44 germanium transistors. The CV7003 is extremely consistent as well as heat-resistant, much more than the AC128 and NKT275 transistors are, making our Fuzz Phrase stand out from its competition. Each individual transistor is measured for gain and leakage and then hand picked and matched through sound audition.
Just mess around with the guitar volume to find the sweet spots, from clean, to rude, to devastating!
Fuzz Phrase users : David Hidalgo, Dweezil Zappa, Greg Koch, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Eivind Aarset, Gwyn Ashton, Julien Kasper…
– Controls : Level , Gain, internal BIAS trimmer
– It works with a 9V battery or 9V boss-type DC adaptor.
– Powering the Fuzz Phrase :
1) Using a battery (recommended): It is best to use a regular 9v battery (not alkaline or lithium) as it looses its power gradually making the pedal sound warmer and fuzzier ! If you want to have your pedal mounted on a pedal board and keep it plugged in at all times without draining the battery’s life, you can use the small DC plug provided on the power jack, everytime you’re not playing.
2) 9v Boss-type power supply (tip negative): *Caution : this circuit uses positive ground. Therefore you cannot connect this pedal to any type of chained power supply linked with other common DC-powered pedals, unless the power supply unit features separate isolated DC outputs, into which you can plug the Fuzz Phrase.
3) The 3rd option is to use a 9v chained power supply (eg 1spot), but you will need the “Diago” positive ground adaptor.
– If you choose to connect another non-true-bypass pedal before the Fuzz Phrase, in your pedal chain, our opinion is the pedal will not reach its maximum tonal capacity. You can check this out, hear the difference, and decide for yourself.
– It uses only 5mA of power when ON and barely any power when off (under 0.2mA!) so the battery will last hundreds of hours !
– Dimensions : 111 x 60 x 32 mm
– Limited Life-time warranty !